25 May 2010

John Frieda Root Awakening line

Rating:  7

For the past 2 years, I have used almost exclusively Herbal Essences shampoos and conditioners, but I am always open to trying new brands.  When I saw that John Frieda samples were available, I jumped at the opportunity since I have sampled John Frieda products in the past and loved what they did for my hair.

Because my hair is naturally very thick and bushy, I was apprehensive about trying Root Awakening, thinking that it would add too much volume to my hair.  Although it did add some volume to my hair, it was controlled and actually gave my normally frizzy hair some nice dimension.  In addition, I don't normally add product to my hair unless I want to leave it down.  However, with John Frieda Root Awakening, I felt comfortable brushing my hair out after I put in the lotion, and my ponytail stayed set and controlled all day!

I was not a fan of the shampoo and conditioner scent, which reminded me of a combination of mint and menthol.  Though I normally use scented shampoos, the mint was too strong and seemed to act only as a scent; it did nothing to refresh my scalp.  Unfortunately, this was a big negative for me, and would be the deciding factor in my choice to purchase the line in the future.  The lotion was not scented (or at least, not as strongly so that I did not notice).  Since that probably did more for my hair than the shampoo or conditioner, I feel safe saying that you can achieve a high level of control and volume using your normal shampoo and conditioner and finishing with a product from John Frieda Root Awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment